WesleyCurrence

WesleyCurrence

Book Blog 1 Semester 2 - Wesley Currence

Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins

I have recently started reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It is the 2nd book in the Hunger Games series.

To start off this book blog I feel I need to give some history on the Hunger Games series for this second book to truly make sense. In the first book, entitled The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen lives in a dystopian future where the area in which she lives in divided up into 12 districts. She lives in district 12, a poor district where the people try and etch out a living day to day. The other districts are similar in this regard and are all ruled by the capital. The capital hosts the "Hunger Games" annually and Katniss participated in it the previous year. In these games the 24 contestants, 1 boy and 1 girl from each district, fight to the death in an enclosed area where strategy is key. Katniss and Peeta, a boy from district 12 as well, win the Hunger Games. Although there is supposed to be only 1 victor, Katniss and Peeta won the public's affection in showing their love affair during the games. For this reason, the capital allowed 2 winners just this one time. Katniss also had a previous relationship with Gale, another boy from her district. She is conflicted about her feelings between Peeta and Gale. Book 2 picks up 6 months after Katniss and Peeta won the hunger games.

The capitol hosts a victory tour every 6 months after the annual hunger games commence. It is this time of the year when book 2 kicks off. Katniss is still living in district 12, however her life has changed drastically from what it was just a year ago. Instead of living in poverty, her family now has everything they will ever need. Just a small reward for winning the hunger games. Katniss is not adjusting to this new life well. She misses the old times when she would have to provide for her family, and family unity was something more than it is now. There was a kind of satisfaction to it. But for now she must go on the victory tour, traveling district to district to greet the peoples. She is loathing this but knows to stay alive she must agree to it. The capitol is not gracious.

I read the 1st Hunger Games book a while ago. I really enjoyed it. The concept of arena warfare that Suzanne has created is quite interesting. However the way that Katniss and Peeta were able to maintain a relationship was even more impressive. She has sculptured the characters love interests in a frustrating way. Katniss has several options in her life. This format sucks in the reader and I am excited to dive into the 2nd book.